Day in the Life: 8 Months

I always really enjoy reading the day in the life posts. I especially enjoyed them when I was pregnant and when I had a newborn. When E was a newborn, it was helpful to see that other moms were going through similar difficult times (I wasn’t alone!), and if I read the life of a baby that was a little older, it gave me hope that there were some easier (not easy) times ahead. So what does life at lour house look like? Here’s a typical day:

4:00 a.m. Nurse E for about 20 minutes, change her diaper and sing rock-a-bye baby before laying her back down in her crib. My doctor wants me to drop this feeding, but she is still asleep when I leave for work, so I love this time we get to spend together before I go to work.

4:20 a.m.- try to fall back asleep before the alarm goes off at 5, but usually check Instagram, Facebook, blogs, etc for a few minutes.

5:15 a.m.- wake up, feed the dogs, pump, eat breakfast and get ready for work. Lately my breakfast is oatmeal with flax seeds and fruit because I’m trying to boost my supply and oatmeal is supposed to help. Also, stuff diapers or put away bottles that were on the drying rack, sometimes both.

6:30 a.m.- my mom, the “nanny”, gets to our house. I go over anything new to talk to her about and then head out the door. I’ve gotten into a very bad habit of stopping for coffee every morning, so I do that too.

7:00 a.m.-work, work, work

8:00 a.m.- pump. There are 6 pumping moms in my building with only one mother’s room, so we are all on a strict schedule to make sure everyone has a turn. It’s great there are so many of us, but terrible if I have a meeting or something that interferes with my pump time. So, I had to alter my pump schedule with the new job to make it work. But, most of my team gets in around 9, so I like to have at least one pump session done before the rest of the group gets here.

8:30 -11:00 a.m.-work, work, work

11:00 a.m.- pump

11:30- 12:00 p.m.- grab some lunch at my desk. Usually a salad or sandwich and some yogurt.

12:00-2:00 p.m. – work, work work

2:00 p.m.- pump

2:30-4:00p.m. work, work, work

4:15 p.m.- home!! I chat with my mom about the day, and find out what they did and how E slept. Here’s her schedule while I’m away:

  • 6:45-7:00 a.m.- E wakes up
  • 7:00 a.m.- 5 oz bottle
  • 7:30 a.m.- breakfast. This varies, but usually oatmeal or some fruit and veggie combo like sweet potatoes and apples
  • 8:00 a.m.- Stroller ride to the park. She loves the swing.
  • 9:00-10:00 a.m.- Nap time with Lovey and White Noise Machine
  • 10:00 a.m.- 4 oz bottle
  • 10:30-12:00 p.m.- Play time: Jumper , floor activities like Geometric Stacker, and wood toy throwing mostly, reading, exersaucer, LOTS of singing, practicing crawling (we’re not quite there yet), mostly wanting to practice walking.
  • 12:15 p.m. – Lunch time! Again, a mix of fruits and veggies. She is a huge fan of the squash family. So, butternut, acorn or spaghetti squash and some peas or broccoli or something green.
  • 12:45-2:00 p.m.- Nap time with Lovey and White Noise Machine
  • 2:00 p.m.- 4 oz bottle
  • 2:30 p.m.- another stroller walk and more park time! Sometimes there are other kids there now, and she loves to watch them, but not let them get too close. One little boy wanted to help push her in the swing and she didn’t really want that to happen.
  • 3:15 p.m.- snack time. Usually fruit, like pears.
  • 3:30-4:15 p.m.- Play time again, a lot like the 10:30-12 time slot.

Now I get to hang out and play with E! I usually change quickly out of my work clothes while E cries because she’s so ready to nurse.

4:30 p.m.- Nurse E and talk to her about her day.

4:45 p.m.- play, read, and practice crawling some more. Usually use the dogs as something she should crawl towards because she thinks they are hilarious.





5:15-5:50 p.m.- Dad is home! We all head for a walk with the dogs. E rides in her Beco Gemini , and gets really excited when I pull it out.


6:00 p.m.- Dinner time. She loves zucchini, spaghetti, crab, sweet potatoes, broccoli. So we do some of that, and then anything else we have left over that we may have had that week. Dad washes bottles and prepares bottles for the next day while she eats.


6:20 p.m.- Bath time. We brush her teeth, give her Carlson Vitamin D Drops and use California Baby Shampoo and Bodywash.


6:35 p.m. – PJ and lotion time. We call this baby massage and she LOVES it. Again, we use California Baby Lotion .

6:45 p.m.- Nurse, sing rock-a-bye baby and lay her down with her Lovey and turn on the White Noise Machine.

7:00 p.m.- Wash diapers (every other day), feed the dogs, make dinner, and plop down on the couch to veg out.

8:00 p.m.- Sean leaves for the gym, so I log on to my work computer to make sure nothing is urgent, or close out any other assignments.

9:30-10 p.m.- Get ready for bed and do it all over again!

This is pretty much how things go everyday. When Sean was gone for a week, I felt like a zombie, it’s A LOT to do by yourself, and I am so thankful I have a helpful partner. I am terrified about how daylight savings time will impact all of this, because I have a feeling that E will not be ok with seeing me in the morning before I go to work and then going to my mom. So, we’re trying to slowly shift her bedtime; we’ll see if that will work.

10 Responses to “Day in the Life: 8 Months”

  • First off, thank you so much for sharing this with us! I know how much time it takes to write one of these posts, so I really appreciate it. I *also* really appreciate it b/c E and L are so close in age and I love knowing what other babies her age are up to! :) Glad to know that we’re not the only ones still doing a “middle of the night” feeding – I know we should probably wean her off of it, but I kind of still do it for the same reason…she’s so snuggly! Also, E is so adorable I can barely stand it – that pic of her in the tub? Gah! So cute!

  • I would love to hear more about your experiences with cloth diapering as a working mom. I am considering it but I’m not sure if it is feasible since I will be working full time.

    • Melissa, honestly the diapers are really not a lot of work at all! I am also really lucky because Sean helps out a lot. I told him that if I have to pump and do all that during the day, then he has to be on diaper wash duty. I\’d be happy to do a post on it! But in the mean time, we wash every other day. Throwing them in the wash takes less than 5 minutes, and then we just let the washer do its thing. We put the inserts in the dryer, but hang the shells to dry (and by hang I mean over the back of the chairs in our kitchen), and then in the morning I stuff them to allow ample time for the shells to dry. We have enough diapers that even if I can\’t stuff them until later that night, we\’re still good. So honestly, it\’s not a lot more work at all. I\’d definitely recommend it.

  • I love reading these kinds of posts! Sounds like you guys have a great schedule down and E is such a sweety pie <3

  • i love these posts–thanks for sharing! E is so cute–i can’t believe she’s 8 months already. and i love that you included a picture of yourself–i was hoping to catch a glimpse of you! you look terrific, of course.

  • Thanks so much for posting this!! It really is so interesting to see how other babies and moms/dads are spending their days, and to see if we have any similarities or differences! I love that E gets so much outside time with your mom and you guys. And yay for working moms that pump!! (I wish I could join your ranks!) You guys are adorable!

  • thanks for sharing! Love reading this in prep for the future. E is SO FRIGGING CUTE. 8 months! WOWZA. how time flies!!

  • Thanks for sharing! You look great and little E is adorable!! Getting a glance into a working mom’s typical day is so helpful. I just returned to work this week, which has been so tough! I feel so guilty for leaving my little girl (4 months old)…there have been plenty of tears over here. I also work from 7-4 and am trying to figure out my pumping routine and my “life after work” routine. My little one is NOT a fan of the bottle, she’s been taking about 1/2oz to an oz per feeding, so I drive home during lunch to feed her. Even though it’s a 20 min drive, I could not sit at work knowing she’s hungry. Here’s hoping she takes the bottle soon. This is so tough! You’re so lucky, I wish my mom could look after my little one while I’m at work…but that’s not possible so we have a nanny that is working part time with my husband, who took some time off of work so that we can all transition into this new routine. The nanny will start full time after Thanksgiving. Finding a loving and caring nanny you can trust with your most precious baby is a whole other difficult task. This mommy thing is the most rewarding and most diffcult thing in the world!

    • Michelle, I know it\’s so hard. I still struggle with it, and I\’ve been back at work for 5 months now. For the summer (when I first went back to work), we had a regular nanny that wasn\’t my mom and I was so worried. She was a very nice girl, but I was leaving my baby, who I love more than anything, with a stranger. It was so scary. Everything went fine, but I still cried a lot and felt (and continue to feel) so much guilt. I literally get to see her for 2 hrs a day during the week. That\’s nothing! So, I completely understand. You\’re right, it\’s so rewarding and challenging at the same time. I try to figure it out as I go…

  • Not sure how I just found your blog now, but I’ll be following along! Love this post- our days sound very similar:) -well at least before bed rest while I was working!

Leave a Reply